Are you aware of the benefits that can be derived from the use of chewing gum? Chewing gum is often looked at as something to freshen your breath, but it can also provide other benefits to your smile as well. Chewing gum can help remove plaque buildup in your mouth and other debris that can lead to several oral health ailments such as dental abrasion, cavities, tooth decay and gum disease. Listed below are a few benefits that sugarless chewing gum can provide:
– Chewing gum has been shown to help aid in cavity prevention. This can occur when you chew sugarless gum after meals for a period of roughly 20 minutes or more to stimulate saliva flow.
– Saliva flow is the main factor in which chewing gum is beneficial because saliva can help neutralize harmful acids in your mouth and wash away plaque and debris.
– Chewing gum has shown to be popular in the treatment and prevention of heartburn.
– Always make sure you’re using sugarless chewing gum, as gum or sugars can cause potential health risks associated with the sugars.
– Chewing gum is an effective cleaning utensil for avoiding dental abrasion as it is non-abrasive by nature.
If you are in need of additional care for your smile our team can help. To contact Alluring Smiles, LLC at our office in Gaithersburg, Maryland, please call us at 301-637-6155 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Maria Hayes.