Have you ever had an oral emergency? They are more common than you might think. Oral emergencies are accidents or injuries that take place in your facial area and often necessitate an examination by a doctor or dentist. Here are some helpful tips on treating oral emergencies before expert help can be administered:
– If you have an item stuck in your mouth, you’ll want to use an interdental cleaner like dental floss to remove the item. At no time will you want to use sharp objects, as this may injure other parts of your mouth.
– If a tooth is dislodged or falls out of your mouth, it might be possible to save it by placing it in milk or an approved tooth-saving product such as Save-A-Tooth until you take a trip to Alluring Smiles where Dr. Lucy Gilbart & Roli Malla Joshi can set it back in place.
– Do you have a bitten lip or tongue? Wash your mouth out with water to keep the wound clean and apply gauze until the bleeding stops. If the wound is severe, you may need to see a doctor for stitches.
– If you have lost a filling, you can use a stick of sugarless chewing gum or dental cement to place over the cavity until you get treatment.
-If you’ve lost a dental crown, use a cotton swab coated in clove oil to cover your exposed tooth.
– If you crack a tooth, sanitize the area around it so it is clean and use gauze on the wound to slow any bleeding until it stops.
Most of all, if you are in an emergency, it’s important to call Dr. Lucy Gilbart & Roli Malla Joshi in Gaithersburg, Maryland or a medical doctor for treatment. Our number is 301-637-6155. We look forward to helping you!